cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck <stuartroeb...@mac.com>
Subject Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:58:26 GMT
Okay, I wonder if it's time for me to poor water on the flames!

* Cocoon 2.0.3 has some problems with it that need fixing.

* Cocoon 2.1 hasn't been released yet.

* We have three books coming out this year, presumably based around
Cocoon 2.0.x, or maybe around 2.1.some-months-ago.

* There's still isn't adequate documentation for 2.0.x.

* There's a whole bundle of software running 'out there' based on
Cocoon 1.x and 2.0.x that relies on any number of the existing
'unstable' APIs in Cocoon.

And now we're talking about refactoring everything.

Refactoring is very therapeutic and essential from time to time - like
tidying your desk.  And untidiness is fine too - part of the creative
process.

But...

If cocoon is more than just a pet project then it needs some checks and
balances.  From time to time someone has to say.  "That's a great idea,
keep hold of it and bring it back in six months time!"

Cocoon may be the best thing since sliced bread, but nobody's going to
put their fingers anywhere near it whilst it's still being sliced.

Stuart.

On Monday, August 5, 2002, at 07:38  pm, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> On Monday 05 August 2002 19:40, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>>> From: Andrew C. Oliver [mailto:acoliver@apache.org]
>>>
>>> That being said...  I  grew up in "the south" and would not
>>> have thought
>>> of this meaning in this context.
>>>
>> :)
>>
>> Yes, but Ugo did.  Someone else may.
>>

>> Really, I didn't have that picture in my head, but Ugo's
>> comment jogged my memory.
>>
>> Anyhoo, I have been having a mild itch to completely refactor
>> Cocoon and call it C4 (more for the explosive reference than
>> for the Cocoon evolutionary reference).  However, it has not
>> been itching enough for me to do anything about it.
>
> feeling the same itch...
>
> ...it would be really cool to at least collect some ideas and write
> them down
> somewhere. Not even discuss them... (it might set the wrong signals)
> but just
> marking down the itches we found while using and improving cocoon2.
>
> In the end it might give us a better starting point for C3/C4. Or we
> end up
> fixing all this in C2. (although I am a friend of rewrites)
> --
> Torsten

            Public Key - 1024D/88DD65AF 2001-11-23 Stuart Roebuck
(Adolos)
      Key fingerprint = 89D9 E405 F8B1 9B22 0FA2  F2C1 9E57 5AB1 88DD
65AF
-
Stuart Roebuck
stuart.roebuck@adolos.com
Systems Architect                             Java, XML, MacOS X, XP,
etc.
ADOLOS
<http://www.adolos.com/>