cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Diana Shannon <shan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 19:36:07 GMT

On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 02:24  PM, Steven Noels wrote:

>> Writing on a wiki is also different from writing on a mailing list : on
>> a ML, you can throw an idea in a few lines and see if you get some
>> feedback.

True, but on cocoon-users, there are some great threads which yield good
doc material. The problem now is a lack of doc committers and patches
from volunteers. Perhaps we should be encouraging users to post their
summaries in a wiki-like grammar on cocoon-users. I guess the quality of
doc-oriented wikis will depend in part if uber-knowledgeable people,
like Vadim, Christian, and others, spend time monitoring/editing
doc-wikis like they do currently on cocoon-users. Since Vadim started
this wiki topic, sounds like he'll be visiting it??? Seems to me we'd
need a QA stage before commits to cvs.

>> On a wiki, your thoughts have to be more cleanly structured in
>> order to be presented. This also helps maturing ideas.

Yes, but in some ways, **until** we can transform Wiki content into a
structure based on document.dtd, etc., isn't this a step backwards for
some of the more complex-structured docs? In other words, it seems it
could significantly increase the burden on committers making periodic
updates to cvs, etc.  I also worry a bit about managing links introduced
by Wiki docs. Link troubleshooting already consumes a huge chunk of my
volunteer time. Sorry if this is an stupid question, but can Wikis check
links (included in submitted content)?

> A wiki for RT's would be really, really great.
I think we should seriously consider doing individual FAQs/Topics this
way, i.e., one page for each FAQ/Topic.

> Do I proceed with my setup?
Would this now become a Forrest sub-project? Will doc committers have
access to the resources/files they need?

Syvain, how's http://www.anyware-tech.com/wikiland/ faring?

-- Diana