cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <>
Subject Re: Proposal: Inclusion of CocoBlog in scratchpad
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 21:21:03 GMT

I agree with Michael that we should keep Cocoblog as a standalone
application, not only an example for Cocoon. I would very much like to use
Cocoblog as my Weblog tool instead or MovableType, and I think we should
start a concerted effort to make this happen. I've taken a look at Cocoblog,
and I have my own ideas on what would make a good Weblog tool, so I think we
should definitely start talking about it.

Setting up a separate project, either at Apache or Sourceforge, seems to me
like the best option for now.

On 8/7/02 6:52 PM, "Michael Wechner" <> wrote:

> Dear Ugo
> I am not a committer, but maybe you can appreciate my opinion anyway
> Ugo Cei wrote:
>> I'd like to propose the inclusion of my blogging tool, CocoBlog, in
>> the scratchpad of Cocoon 2.1.
> I think it is very good that Cocoon is shipping examples, but I also
> think that it is very
> important to distinguish between an example and an "application" (or a
> framework based on an application server or another framework).
> Which means I would prefer a similar approach as Zope is doing. On one
> hand you have "Zope the application server" and on the other hand you
> have "Zope products".
> To me a Blogging Tool such as CocoBlog is an application, or actually
> rather a specific type
> of "publication" based on a "content management framework" based on an
> "application
> server". In the case of "Zope world" you could take the following example:
> Plone
> Zope CMF
>  Zope Application Framework
> In the case of  "Cocoon world" you could take
> CocoBlog    ("blogging Publication")
> Wyona/Slide ("Content Management Framework")
> Cocoon ("Application Server/Framework")
> or if you have a portal application:
> Specific Portal Solution
> Sunspot
> Cocoon
> I am not saying this because I am working on Wyona and see CocoBlog as
> a competitor. I am saying this because to me Cocoon is still in a
> evolutionary
> process, which Zope already passed kind of and passed it very well in my
> opinion.
> I deeply believe in Cocoon because of it's great ideas, clean
> architecture and
> great community, but to make all this great stuff come through this is
> not enough.
> Concerning CocoBlog and Wyona I would very much
> like to join forces and collaborate.
> Wyona already supports:
> -Access Controlling
> -Revision Controlling (Multiple users working on the same publication)
> -Multiple Publications within one Cocoon instance
> -Scheduler (well, two more weeks)
> -Beside a generic HTML Form Editor, Wyona is already connected
> to other Editors such as Xopus2, Bitflux, EditOnPro.
> -Resource/Content Creators
> -Publisher/Replicator
> -Nice Editor (Authoring) interface
> -Not so nice/advanced Administrator interface
> -Workflow Manager (remains to be refactored)
> -Dispatcher/Notifyer Pattern (remains to be refactored)
> Some time ago we started a Blogging/DiscussionForum publication very
> similar to Slash. I wouldn't mind at all throwing it out and featuring
> CocoBlog based on Wyona.
> But I can certainly understand if you want to go your way.
> All the best
> Michael
> [...]

Ovidiu Predescu <> (Weblog) (Apache, GNU, Emacs...)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message