cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modu larize it . . .)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 08:55:00 GMT
> From: Ulrich Mayring [mailto:ulim@denic.de]
> Piroumian Konstantin wrote:
>
> > Your are wrong saying that Cocoon does not server its own
> website. Cocoon's
> > site is generated using Cocoon's CLI as well as the Forrest site
> > (http://xml.apache.org/forrest or the recent version:
> > http://www.krysalis.org/forrest). The reason that the web
> site is not served
> > as a web application is the infrastructure that has no
> running servlet
> > engine on the web server.
>
> As I said, there are probably good reasons. But from a
> marketing point
> of view it is still a show-stopper.

That depends on how Cocoon is positioned. It was agreed a while ago that
Cocoon is excellent for publishing tasks, but there are some difficulties
for using it for web applications (see discussions about the Flow and
Continuations). The new flow layour is aimed at solving that difficulties.

> > Cocoon can be used to implement a Wiki application, isn't
> it? The other
> > thing is that nobody had did it yet.
>
> And people wonder: why not? Why are there Wiki
> implementations in JSP,
> but none for Cocoon? If it were easy to do, surely someone could slap
> something together right now.

Agree. Using Cocoon is not as easy as pure JSPs and servlets.

> > For lighter tasks a lighter tool is the best, but when you
> have a complex
> > web application/site with customizable/personalizable
> content and layout,
> > where you will need multimedia output of the same content
> etc. then you'll
> > hardly be happy to do it using JSP even with its XML and
> Tiles like taglibs.
>
> So, Cocoon is positioned as being only for large and complex websites?

It's my personal opinion. I am currently developing some demo applications
and I've choosed Struts for it, cause it better suits my needs. But for the
real system I'd prefer some XML-enabled/based framework like Cocoon.

Konstantin