cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Fagnani-Bell <>
Subject Re: Is Cocoon unstable?
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 22:11:45 GMT
I have a site running on Cocoon 2.0.1 that needs restarting every couple
of days or it gets real slow. I seems like a memory leak, but the log
files show plenty of memory available to the JVM. This doesn't even get
that much traffic. If I don't restart Tomcat, eventually the site will

I figure it could easily be my code (custom generators and actions), but
I can't find anything. I'm currently rewriting the entire system with
optimizations based on my experience, so I haven't spent much time
trying to figure out what the problem is on the old codebase. Once I'm
done rewriting though, I'll need to revisit this. Avalon and CoP are new
to me and I wonder if I'm missing something in a recycle() somewhere,
but I've checked and can't find anything. I often times see (in the
logs) components getting initialized many times, even though I though I
thought I set up cocoon.xconf to only create one instance. Probably my

My biggest question is: How should I test a Cocoon deployment for memory
leaks? I've never used jdb, and only used a comercial java profiler
once. What else could be causing slow-downs if the JVM free memory seems
ok? How do other people test their Cocoon apps?

On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 10:39 AM, Michael Wechner wrote:

> I have a friend (Thomas Werschlein: and he is
> using 2.0.3 since Sunday
> in production for a swiss magazine, and he told me just today that he
> has to reboot the system
> approx every hour, because there seems to be a memory leak.
> He probably better speaks for himself. But just to let you know,
> Michael
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Looking at the last great threads, I noticed many messages
>> complaining that Cocoon is not stable, even from some
>> developers.
>> Is this really true? Is Cocoon not stable (and I mean
>> 2.0.3 of course) ?
>> Our experience with several productive installations currently
>> proves the opposite. It's stable and did never crash or
>> had to be restarted since months. I must confess that we
>> are using a version between 2.0 and 2.0.1.
>> And if 2.0.3 is really that unstable, we should immediately
>> fix this and find out what has changed since 2.0.1 which causes this!
>> So, constructive reports about unstable conditions are welcome.
>> Carsten

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message