cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <ghow...@crosswalk.com>
Subject setup() method for components vs. avalon lifecycle
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 20:50:29 GMT
In the process of writing up a tutorial on writing a C2 Generator, I've run
across what seems to be an important question I can't find documented
(imagine that).  In a discussion on cocoon-docs, Jens Lorenz suggested
implementing Parameterizable to get at request parameters in the sitemap
(for the context, see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-docs&m=102828311607253&w=2).

Obviously, there are a number of ways to get at request parameters - not the
point here.  The questions this has raised are:

1) I had thought that setup(...) was an avalon defined method, but
apparently it's not.  Is there information on how this method was chosen
architecturally?
2) My understanding is that parameterize(...) is only called once, during
the life of a component.  I further assume that this means that each request
for a generator would not call this method again, and that
reparameterize(...) would have to be employed.  Is this correct?
3) Is the correct way to get at parameters in a C2 component/generator to
use the org.apache.avalon.framework.parameters.Parameters reference passed
in to setup(...)?
4) How is the current lifecycle of C2 components different than that
described at
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/framework/reference-the-lifecycle.html
currently?

Thanks,