cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Enke, Michael" <michael.e...@wincor-nixdorf.com>
Subject Please help! Caching or Threadproblem or what else?
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:23:42 GMT
Hi all,
after playing with xsp I started to get mass data out of xsp.
But I run into a serious problem: After some thousend elements
my systems disk spins up, I could not get any reaction from my system
for most of the time, only reset helped. Sometimes I could see
the xload window: There were 15 or more lines ...

My setup:
700 MHz Pentium, SuSE-Linux 7.2, Sun SDK1.4.0_01
Tomcat 4.0.3
cocoon-dev2.1 from last week

I broke the problem down until the attached xsp.
Now the system doesn't hang anymore, but:
Every time in the for-loop if counter has the value 13994
there is an imaginary delay of about 1700 milliseconds.
If I let my CPU run with only 550 MHz, it happens
to the same counter value: 13994, the delay is about 2000 ms.
If I put in a Thread.sleep(1), the delay is about 2000 ms
at counter 13994
If I put in an inner loop from 0 until 100,
the delay comes at a counter value of 139.

Here is my sitemap fragment, pipeline default: "noncaching"
I tried it with JispFilesystemStore and FilesystemStore, no difference.

    <map:match pattern="**.xml">
      <map:generate type="serverpages" src="{1}.xsp"/>
      <map:serialize type="xml"/>
    </map:match>

The delay depends strongly on the content of the page before the loop.
I get Maximum "delay-efficiency" with 1 space resp. linebreak between elements.
No space between elements is faster (lower delay), more than one space
doesn't delay it more.

Sometimes I get also delays greater than 5 ms for other values of counter
(in about 5 percent).

Can anybody with deeper cocoon-knowledge help me?

Regards,
Michael