cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Cocoon-apps CVS module
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 12:26:55 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>From: Stuart Roebuck [mailto:stuart.roebuck@adolos.co.uk]
>>
>>On Thursday, August 8, 2002, at 10:18  am, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>>>Let's make a cocoon-apps CVS repository that can trigger the
>>>compilation of Cocoon by assuming that the cocoon2 CVS is checked
>>>

>out
>

>>>in the same common dir.
>>>
>>>It would make it easier also for the cleanup that's gonna take place
>>>soon.
>>>
>>>So, how does this sound?
>>>

>>+1
>>
>>I think the idea of a cocoon-apps area closely associated with the
>>Cocoon project is essential.  The separation of apps from cocoon is
>>important, but it is also important to the Cocoon project to have lots
>>of apps that turn Cocoon into a quick to implement solution for a
>>

>whole
>

>>range of applications.  It makes no sense to force people to locate
>>these applications in timeconsuming-to-setup separate projects.  In
>>some cases it will be these apps that 'sell' Cocoon.
>>
>>However (and this is a minor point).  I have a lot of frustrations
>>

>with
>

>>the configuration of the Avalon project, and one such frustration is
>>the dependancy of projects upon other projects with critical namings,
>>that are required to be in the same common parent directory and have

>>be built in a particular order in order to function.
>>

>I think Cocoon-apps's build can invoke Cocoon's build, so this should
>not be an issue.
>

>>Cocoon applications will be dependant upon Cocoon: I therefore suggest
>>that the cocoon-apps directory should be located *inside* the cocoon
>>CVS repository.
>>

>Not sure that this is better.
>
>Vadim

I'd like to see a seperate CVS module (irrelevant of Cocoblog) for
cocoon-apps.  Which is for sample applications
using cocoon.  The bar for giving people commit access would be lower
than the core.   The main purpose would be
to encourage folks to write example apps.  Such usage example would be
REALLY useful to me.

Jakarta Lucene does this with lucene-scratchpad (which is basically for
the same thing.....different terminology).

This would also not cloud the Cocoon repository with a bunch of apps.

-andy