cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Inclusion of CocoBlog in scratchpad
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2002 01:52:06 GMT
Dear Ugo

I am not a committer, but maybe you can appreciate my opinion anyway

Ugo Cei wrote:

> I'd like to propose the inclusion of my blogging tool, CocoBlog, in
> the scratchpad of Cocoon 2.1.

I think it is very good that Cocoon is shipping examples, but I also
think that it is very
important to distinguish between an example and an "application" (or a
framework based on an application server or another framework).
Which means I would prefer a similar approach as Zope is doing. On one
hand you have "Zope the application server" and on the other hand you
have "Zope products".

To me a Blogging Tool such as CocoBlog is an application, or actually
rather a specific type
of "publication" based on a "content management framework" based on an
"application
server". In the case of "Zope world" you could take the following example:

  Plone

  Zope CMF

   Zope Application Framework

In the case of  "Cocoon world" you could take

CocoBlog    ("blogging Publication")

Wyona/Slide ("Content Management Framework")

Cocoon ("Application Server/Framework")

or if you have a portal application:

  Specific Portal Solution

  Sunspot

  Cocoon

I am not saying this because I am working on Wyona and see CocoBlog as
a competitor. I am saying this because to me Cocoon is still in a
evolutionary
process, which Zope already passed kind of and passed it very well in my
opinion.

I deeply believe in Cocoon because of it's great ideas, clean
architecture and
great community, but to make all this great stuff come through this is
not enough.

Concerning CocoBlog and Wyona I would very much
like to join forces and collaborate.

Wyona already supports:

-Access Controlling
-Revision Controlling (Multiple users working on the same publication)
-Multiple Publications within one Cocoon instance
-Scheduler (well, two more weeks)
-Beside a generic HTML Form Editor, Wyona is already connected
  to other Editors such as Xopus2, Bitflux, EditOnPro.
-Resource/Content Creators
-Publisher/Replicator
-Nice Editor (Authoring) interface
-Not so nice/advanced Administrator interface
-Workflow Manager (remains to be refactored)
-Dispatcher/Notifyer Pattern (remains to be refactored)

Some time ago we started a Blogging/DiscussionForum publication very
similar to Slash. I wouldn't mind at all throwing it out and featuring
CocoBlog based on Wyona.

But I can certainly understand if you want to go your way.

All the best

Michael