cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:06:39 GMT
Ulrich Mayring wrote:

> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> Personally....  I feel content is king.  The rest is details.  Lets
>> start generating more content..then we'll figure out how to organize
>> it, and then figure out the technical details (which often seem to
>> become the focus....but this is WRONG)
>

> Generally I would agree with you. But as with all good rules, there
> are exceptions. Content is NOT king, when there is not at least a
> basic presentation layer and a sense of "we practice what we preach"
> aka "proof of concept".
>
> When Cocoon first started out, many people got excited and went to
> coding. But no-one could be bothered to use this new tool for the most
> basic purpose: to serve its own website. Even today, generations and
> generations of code later, Cocoon does not serve its own website. And
> now it does not serve its own Wiki.
>
> People from outside ask: what kind of web publishing technology cannot
> even serve its own website? And, Cocoon wants to replace JSP, but it
> uses JSPWiki?
>
> I'm sure there are good reasons, but from a marketing point of view
> this is a show-stopper. It gives the impression that Cocoon is so hard
> to use that even the devs themselves prefer lighter tools.

So you'd rather have NO documentation than serve it on un-cool tools?

As for why Cocoon doesn't serve its own website, I think that has more
to do with the fact Apache has
SEVERAL projects to serve websites and *few* servers doing it.  If EVER
project that CAN served its
own website, we'd need some new hardware.

Anyhow, the wiki has been set up outside project resources.  The only
resolve those who object really have is
not to use it.  Which is unfortunate but your choice.  I applaud the
setup of this wiki and plan to contribute!

-Andy