cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modu larize it . . .)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:06:53 GMT
Leigh Dodds wrote:
>>Using Cocoon is not as easy as pure JSPs and servlets.
>

> Depends on your perspective.
>
> I think the core pipeline model in Cocoon is really simple to
> understand. It's got a clear separation of functionality/responsibility.

IMHO it's simple to understand the concept, but hard to use the actual
software. Look at any Sitemap.

> It's getting across the simplicity at the heart of Cocoon that's
> the road to success -- clear examples and documentation are
> the way to do this.

You do have a point. The mere process of writing quality and quantity
docs will make it apparent whether Cocoon is really very simple or
actually very complex.

> Another one is to avoid making the sitemap any more complex than
> it needs to be.

I think the Sitemap is complex by design: it rules everything, so any
new feature you put into Cocoon has a fair chance of requiring a change
to the Sitemap.

You also mentioned that for most developers straightforward XSLT
processing and database stuff via esql will be the two main features of
Cocoon and they are fairly straightforward to use. You are right, but
these features were even easier to use in Cocoon1. Cocoon2 made simple
things harder and complex things possible.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung