cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modu larize it . . .)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 08:40:53 GMT
Piroumian Konstantin wrote:

> Your are wrong saying that Cocoon does not server its own website. Cocoon's
> site is generated using Cocoon's CLI as well as the Forrest site
> (http://xml.apache.org/forrest or the recent version:
> http://www.krysalis.org/forrest). The reason that the web site is not served
> as a web application is the infrastructure that has no running servlet
> engine on the web server.

As I said, there are probably good reasons. But from a marketing point
of view it is still a show-stopper.

> Cocoon can be used to implement a Wiki application, isn't it? The other
> thing is that nobody had did it yet.

And people wonder: why not? Why are there Wiki implementations in JSP,
but none for Cocoon? If it were easy to do, surely someone could slap
something together right now.

> For lighter tasks a lighter tool is the best, but when you have a complex
> web application/site with customizable/personalizable content and layout,
> where you will need multimedia output of the same content etc. then you'll
> hardly be happy to do it using JSP even with its XML and Tiles like taglibs.

So, Cocoon is positioned as being only for large and complex websites?

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung