cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <>
Subject Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 08:14:32 GMT
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Personally....  I feel content is king.  The rest is details.  Lets
> start generating more content..then we'll figure out how to organize it,
> and then figure out the technical details (which often seem to become
> the focus....but this is WRONG)

Generally I would agree with you. But as with all good rules, there are
exceptions. Content is NOT king, when there is not at least a basic
presentation layer and a sense of "we practice what we preach" aka
"proof of concept".

When Cocoon first started out, many people got excited and went to
coding. But no-one could be bothered to use this new tool for the most
basic purpose: to serve its own website. Even today, generations and
generations of code later, Cocoon does not serve its own website. And
now it does not serve its own Wiki.

People from outside ask: what kind of web publishing technology cannot
even serve its own website? And, Cocoon wants to replace JSP, but it
uses JSPWiki?

I'm sure there are good reasons, but from a marketing point of view this
is a show-stopper. It gives the impression that Cocoon is so hard to use
that even the devs themselves prefer lighter tools.

Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email: