cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon Wiki (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 19:59:58 GMT
Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 02:24  PM, Steven Noels wrote:
>

>>> Writing on a wiki is also different from writing on a mailing list : on
>>> a ML, you can throw an idea in a few lines and see if you get some
>>> feedback.

I didn't wrote that, check your indentation ;-)

> True, but on cocoon-users, there are some great threads which yield good
> doc material. The problem now is a lack of doc committers and patches
> from volunteers. Perhaps we should be encouraging users to post their
> summaries in a wiki-like grammar on cocoon-users. I guess the quality of
> doc-oriented wikis will depend in part if uber-knowledgeable people,
> like Vadim, Christian, and others, spend time monitoring/editing
> doc-wikis like they do currently on cocoon-users. Since Vadim started
> this wiki topic, sounds like he'll be visiting it??? Seems to me we'd
> need a QA stage before commits to cvs.

Agree. A Wiki might be such a QA tool, I believe. And since the back-end
of JSPWiki (read below) stores its content as plain text files, and we
have Chaperon at our disposition, XML-izing the result afterwards
wouldn't be too much of a problem.

>>> On a wiki, your thoughts have to be more cleanly structured in
>>> order to be presented. This also helps maturing ideas.
>>>
> Yes, but in some ways, **until** we can transform Wiki content into a
> structure based on document.dtd, etc., isn't this a step backwards for
> some of the more complex-structured docs? In other words, it seems it
> could significantly increase the burden on committers making periodic
> updates to cvs, etc.  I also worry a bit about managing links introduced
> by Wiki docs. Link troubleshooting already consumes a huge chunk of my
> volunteer time. Sorry if this is an stupid question, but can Wikis check
> links (included in submitted content)?

Must be investigated, but I consider *any* progress to be important
enough to live with the results (and pitfalls) they might cause. Wiki
links are only 'established' once the target page exists. We will have
too see how this transposes into the XML world.

>> A wiki for RT's would be really, really great.
>
> I think we should seriously consider doing individual FAQs/Topics this
> way, i.e., one page for each FAQ/Topic.
>
>> Do I proceed with my setup?
>
> Would this now become a Forrest sub-project? Will doc committers have
> access to the resources/files they need?

I've just put up a copy of JSPWiki on my server, and Leigh Dodds of
Eclectic and xml.com fame is filling it already with his contributions
(lots).

> Syvain, how's http://www.anyware-tech.com/wikiland/ faring?

<quote src="leigh" medium="private mail">
   I think just putting up a chunk of content will decide where the
   Wiki lives.
</quote>

Content is king, and we should applaud Leigh for giving us such a
tremendous headstart. Feeling much obliged - we will take of this.

If you feel like wiki'ing, have a look at http://outerthought.net/wiki/

</Steven>