cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: wiki options (was: Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it . . .)
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:42:28 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

 >On Tuesday 06 August 2002 08:58, Steven Noels wrote:
 >

 >>. . .
 >>phpWiki looks nice, but running PHP
 >>as an Apache2 module doesn't work for me.
 >></sidenote>
 >>. . .
 >>

 >I don't know about an RCS backend but these might be interesting:
 >
 >http://chiki.emaho.org/
 >based on Struts
 >
 >http://moin.sourceforge.net/
 >Phyton-based but provides an XML view of the content

Have you looked at JSPWiki at http://www.ecyrd.com/JSPWiki ? It's very
lightweight, and has two features I wanted : versioning and support for
tables. It has a pluggable versioned filesystem implementation which
come in two flavors : RCS and flat file.

We've been using it internally for a few weeks (I tweaked a bit the
presentation) and I must say a wiki really changes the way of building
and sharing information in a group. Some people (including myself) also
use this wiki as a personal scratchbook because of its ease of use, and
the fact that it is visible to others turns a personal itch into some
collective thinking.

Writing on a wiki is also different from writing on a mailing list : on
a ML, you can throw an idea in a few lines and see if you get some
feedback. On a wiki, your thoughts have to be more cleanly structured in
order to be presented. This also helps maturing ideas.

As said in Nicola Ken's signature, "verba volant, scripta manent"
(discussions get forgotten, only _writings_ remain). And the experience
of lost RTs shows that a mailing list, even with its archive, is mainly
discussions.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez