cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: Cocoon in the corporate world [WAS: RE: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it]
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:18:46 GMT
Luca Morandini wrote:
> Ulrich,
>
> I appreciate your well-thought comments, but I have a couple counter-points of my own:
>
> 1) If Sun came out with an XML equivalent to JSP, this wouldn't necessary mean the demise
of Cocoon: just think of Apache HTTP
> server, it survived iPlanet and IIS nicely

Well, that is a different thing, though. iPlanet has never been through
the JCP or any other kind of standardization/peer review track. It was
not perceived as a technology, upon which to standardize every software,
but as a software application itself, competing with many others. JSP is
a (more or less) accepted and standardized technology and there are
several, competing implementations to choose from.

> 2) I sold three Cocoon projects so far, and the IT people was rather interested in it
(whether they will build on this interest
> remains to be seen though).

I wish you good luck!

> However, I must reckon that Cocoon is "unstable", and this worries me quite a bit, especially
with Cocoon books coming out of the
> press.

Any of them by Sams Publishing? They promised me a free copy, because I
helped out reviewing proposals about 1.5 years ago :)

cheers,

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring