cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.org>
Subject Re: [web site] News page?
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 04:24:37 GMT

Piroumian Konstantin wrote:

>>From: Vadim Gritsenko [mailto:vadim.gritsenko@verizon.net]
>>
>>>From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]
>>>
>>>Does this have to be a separate page? I think this depends on the
>>>
>>number
>>
>>>of entered news items - if we only expect a few - two or three - we
>>>
>>could
>>
>>>also add the news on top of the index page (main webpage).
>>>But a separate page is also ok.
>>>
>>>So: +1 for a news page/section.
>>>
>>+1 for news page.
>>

>+1 for news page

Well, I am not a committer, but I would also vote to have a separate
news page.

But I would also introduce a third column on the Homepage of Cocoon,
where you
just publish the "headlines" and then link to the detailed news item on
the separate news
page (maybe even a separate page per news item, depending on the length).

But this would certainly modify your layout, at least on the Homepage
and you probably don't want that. But I think it's better from a
reader's point of view than having the news on top
and then the "Reader" has to scroll down to find the introduction to Cocoon.

I would also suggest to generate a RSS (enhanced with DC and RDF), which
you can
download and include into other websites (which I would immediately do
for Wyona).
I can help you with that if you want.

>>We can also add "Cocoon News" paragraph to the index page so
>>people will
>>not miss this page.
>>

>+1 of course

Do mean put a link into the navigation (left hand side) or similar to
the paragraphs
"What is Cocoon" and "Where can I find it"?

I think a link in the navigation would also be very good.

>>should

>>feelings down
>>the

>>>Yes, definitly.
>>>
>>I guess every announcement should be there. Some bug fixes
>>(when lots of
>>people are waiting for this fix) also could go there.
>>

>Some discussions summary also can get there. But who'll be responsible for
>the news page content, announcements and summarizing discussions?

If you want then I can host something at Wyona, where people can submit
their news,
and others can "peer-review" them. But you would still need "someone"
with power to publish at
xml.apache.org/cocoon/news/

All the best

Michael