cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 13:49:18 GMT

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>From: Andrew C. Oliver []
>>>If nobody objects, I will branch on 7 August 2002 and start
> refactoring.
>>Not that my opinion should count for much, but I object.
> I'm with you, we are -1.5 now.
> Ken, shall we do one step at a time, please?
> (seems that I'm in favor of evolution)

This is not evolution.
Refactoring is never evolution.

>>My objection
>>is this.  Before there is an agreement and set of documentation
>>explaining "WHAT goes WHERE" then this will be contentious.
> +1. Before we start branching CVS, let's define what goes where. "Cocoon
> Organization" thread was exactly about this.

The branch is a playground, where many can *see* the difference instead
of just trying to understand it.

If you prefer I can just write the things I will move, but it just seems
easier to me to move them and have all evaluate it.

AFAIK there doesn't have to be a vote to branch, but there is to be a
vote to switch codebases or to switch back.

For now, I haven't heard compelling reasons not to.

>>I'd like to see something that explains how a common person will go
>>about installing Cocoon with *feature X* once its split into a billion
>>complex pieces with UNKNOWN dependancies.  Modularization will only
>> work
>>if the modules are defined in a human language.  So far I see a
>> million
>>"lets fix it via just hacking at it" approaches, no definitions, and
>>still inadequate documentation.  Personally, I feel the documentation
>> is
>>FAR more important than ANY refactoring at helping users understand
> Cocoon.
> +1.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -