cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <>
Subject [RACOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 12:57:46 GMT

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>> If nobody objects, I will branch on 7 August 2002 and start refactoring.
> Not that my opinion should count for much, but I object.  My objection
> is this.  Before there is an agreement and set of documentation
> explaining "WHAT goes WHERE" then this will be contentious.  Secondly,
> I'd like to see something that explains how a common person will go
> about installing Cocoon with *feature X* once its split into a billion
> complex pieces with UNKNOWN dependancies.

Each module will be a "project" in the Gump descriptor.
Hence the dependencies are clear.

> Modularization will only work
> if the modules are defined in a human language.

> So far I see a million
> "lets fix it via just hacking at it" approaches, no definitions, and
> still inadequate documentation.  Personally, I feel the documentation is
> FAR more important than ANY refactoring at helping users understand Cocoon.

But how can you document a tangle? By writing tangled documentation, as now.

We need to get a cleaner separation of stuff and that is gonna be

I will hack on the branch so that others can see the moves, and they
will be discussed as they are done.

Nicola Ken Barozzi
             - verba volant, scripta manent -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: