cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 11:45:11 GMT
Amen!  YES!

<snip/>

>Ok, I know, one answer to this will be, if you don't want to use blocks or
>flowmaps, you don't have to. But how does this work? Will we state: "Cocoon
>has
>the sitemap, flowmaps and blocks. But don't worry, if this is too
>complex for you, just use only the sitemap and forget about the others, you
>don't
>need them...". Well...

Not that my opinion should count, but I prefer starting with the easiest
solution first, which is creating a
more sophisticated build system, something that smells like the Linux
Kernel "menuconfig" or "xconfig".

>So what can we do about it? Try to act more like a team and let's more
>listening
>to the user needs. The documentation effort is one step in this direction,
>but
>personally I think there is a problem there, too. New documentation features
>are currently delayed until forrest is ready! So, instead of focusing on the
>real problem, a new construction area has been build up (forrest) which has
>to be
>completed beforehand! This is not very helpfull.

This is what I call Cocoon Syndrome.  Someone says "documentation" and
10 people pipe in on all the
cool tools they'll write to do documentation but no one generates any.

Lets talk about probable effort:

1. Creation of documentation
 65%
2. Creation of forrest
       30%
3. Conversion of docmentation to work with forrest.             5%

So I dare say holding up the 65% until you complete the 30% so that you
can save on the 5% is probably errant logic.

<snip/>

>Second, thinking of SoC (ok, perhaps not the right context to use this
>term) - we should try to build a minimal Cocoon or core Cocoon if you prefer
>and put everything else into additional modules (read: not blocks). By
>modules I simply mean different directories in the CVS in order to
>optionally build them. Let's remove the authentication framework from the
>core, the form handling, the input modules, the flow map, the fop serializer
>etc - simply everything which is not necessary to run Cocoon.

BUT NOT seperate CVS "Modules" I hope!  That would be a PAIN.  (speaking
both as a user and someone
who occasionally hacks cocoon).  Not trying to be pedantic with the
verbage but whoooo.  Having everything
in its own module would hurt!

>Third, let's identify the issues for the upcomming releases.

+1

>Fourth, let's search for volunteers for the open issues, for bug fixing and
>for testing!

+1

>Fifth, discuss the available patches and open RTs and make proposal
>documents out of them.

+1

>Or putting it in other words: Let's not forget the users needs over all
>this cool new features and RTs.

+1

>Now, I'm pretty sure, that some might now stand up and say: "Hey, Carsten,
>you know what? Cocoon is open source, so if you see a need, you can
>contribute and fix it." Well, that's the individual approach we were
>following in the last months. And does it really work? Or someone will
>say "Hey, it's alpha, what do you expect?"...

+1 - Humble suggestion:
 http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/plan/POI20Vision.html
We do this for each major release and have the committers sign off on
it, make sure they all contribute
to it.