cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:20:25 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Now I think we really did some mistakes (and yes, this again includes
> myself).

I don't think that anyone did mistakes, because there was no mechanism
for adding features in Cocoon without making it part of the monolithis
system.
You /could/ have discussed the integration architecture first, but I
doubt it would have been effective.
Now we see the need to make it even better, and this is cool :-)

> But let's come back, to what we can do.
> First of all, a feature stop! I don't mean an RT stop.

.Yes, let's start doing this block thing.

> Second, thinking of SoC (ok, perhaps not the right context to use this
> term) - we should try to build a minimal Cocoon or core Cocoon if you prefer
> and put everything else into additional modules (read: not blocks). By
> modules I simply mean different directories in the CVS in order to
> optionally build them. Let's remove the authentication framework from the
> core, the form handling, the input modules, the flow map, the fop serializer
> etc - simply everything which is not necessary to run Cocoon.

+1

> Third, let's identify the issues for the upcomming releases.
>
> Fourth, let's search for volunteers for the open issues, for bug fixing and
> for testing!
>
> Fifth, discuss the available patches and open RTs and make proposal
> documents out of them.

I think that doing 1 and 2 will take us quite a lot of time, and will be
very important.

> Or putting it in other words: Let's not forget the users needs over all
> this cool new features and RTs.

+1

> And one final note:
> Just do a simple performance test: create a pipeline reading an xml file
> transform this in two steps with two xslt transformers and serialize it
> to html (or xml if you want). Do a stress test on the same machine
> using Cocoon 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3 and 2.1-dev. (I don't know
> the answer to this test, but I would bet a book on the result).

Or compare Cocoon CLI versus Anakia ;-)

> So, whew, you see I had some time to prepare this email...and now
> the flame-war can begin...
>
> But summarizing this: +1 on Berins idea.

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -