cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Crafter <craft...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject o.a.c.environment.http.* compatibility ?
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:05:58 GMT
Hi All,

	Hope all is well.

	I've been doing some work recently with the Apache SOAP library
	building a RPC reader for Cocoon, and have come across something
	I need some advice on.

	Apache SOAP uses the ServletContext, ServletRequest, etc, objects
	internally from the javax.servlet package to do various	things.

	Within Cocoon though, these objects are wrapped inside Cocoon's
	o.a.c.environment.http Context, Request, etc, classes, making this
	part of	the integration a little complex, as there's no way to get to
	the wrapped object, nor do the package names match (javax.servlet &
	o.a.c.environment) which causes ClassCastExceptions within the SOAP
	code.

	This seems to be a general issue if you want to integrate a 3rd
	party servlet oriented library into Cocoon (unless I've missed
	something?), so I thought about modifying the http implementations of
	the Cocoon environment classes so they actually implement the
	interface of the object they wrap.

	ie:

	public class HttpRequest implements Request {

	becomes

	public class HttpRequest implements Request, HttpServletRequest {

	and the same with o.a.c.e.http.HttpContext, etc, etc.

	That would allow the Cocoon http request, context, etc,
	implementations to be used implicitly as their javax.servlet.http.*
	counterparts in 3rd party libraries that rely on them.

	Would this change cause any problems ?

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: