cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@dff.st>
Subject Re: Is Cocoon unstable?
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 12:12:09 GMT
On Wednesday 07 August 2002 13:02, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Looking at the last great threads, I noticed many messages
> complaining that Cocoon is not stable, even from some
> developers.
>
> Is this really true? Is Cocoon not stable (and I mean
> 2.0.3 of course) ?

Well, we are successfully using even HEAD (but refused to update now for a
long time because of the current condition of HEAD)

> So, constructive reports about unstable conditions are welcome.

I guess what people mean by "unstable" is more a feeling and heavily
influenced by:

1) error reporting

you quite certain will never get the exact reason for the error until you
search the log files. even people that are now working with cocoon for months
sometimes do not find the exact failure from the log file. (not to talk about
the message that is presented in the browser) This has been improved a lot
but still gives a messy feeling.

2) external libraries

cocoon uses dozens of external libraries. but if they fail or have bugs it's
also cocoon that has bugs - at least from a user perspective!

3) missing testcases

we do releases without beeing able to prove we keep the same behaviour. I
always keept my fingers crossed for days when we did a cocoon upgrade...

4) changes

I have to admit avalon related changes come to my mind...

 - Loggable vs. LogEnabled
 - moving cocoon components to avalon
 - ECM -> Fortress (sooner or later)

all made sense - but people had to change (more or less) their code

And there are more big (useful) changes to come... blocks etc.

my 2 cents
--
Torsten