cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@dff.st>
Subject Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 16:24:36 GMT
On Tuesday 06 August 2002 18:01, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > I experienced recently a customer which preferred JSP/Struts
> > to Cocoon.
> > Cocoon seemed really a nice thing to them, allowing their app
> > to be more
> > cleanly built than with Struts, but they were afraid of both its
> > stability and the important learning curve, even if my
> > company was able
> > to provide support and consulting.
>
> The learning curve does have to be lessoned.
>
> > However, such a bug would have been easily found if we had both
> > repeatable unit and functional testing. Testing Avalon components and
> > SAX-based components may not be easy, but we have to do it in
> > order to
> > improve the stability and our confidence in the code base.
>
> Testing SAX based components is more difficult than testing Avalon
> components.
> Avalon does have a TestCase framework that extends Junit to provide a
> container, logger, etc. so that a component can be tested in its native
> environment.

we have some simple test cases for our transformers. which is basically
building a mini pipeline.

    public void testXXXX() throws CascadingAssertionFailedError {

        assertTransformation(srcXML, new MyTransformer(), dstXML);
    }

It would be cool to record a orignial pipeline and save it's states...
something like one could mime using the log transformer:

  <map:generate src="..."/>
  <map:transform type"log"/> ---> state A
  <map:transform type"log"/> ---> state B

Then we can pass point A and B to the testcase and see if the behaviour has
changed...

This won't solve all problems... but...

Just some RT ;-)
--