cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@dff.st>
Subject Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 07:32:09 GMT
On Tuesday 06 August 2002 00:58, Stuart Roebuck wrote:
> Okay, I wonder if it's time for me to poor water on the flames!
>

> * Cocoon 2.0.3 has some problems with it that need fixing.
>
> * Cocoon 2.1 hasn't been released yet.
>
> * We have three books coming out this year, presumably based around
> Cocoon 2.0.x, or maybe around 2.1.some-months-ago.
>
> * There's still isn't adequate documentation for 2.0.x.
>
> * There's a whole bundle of software running 'out there' based on
> Cocoon 1.x and 2.0.x that relies on any number of the existing
> 'unstable' APIs in Cocoon.

...even on an early HEAD version after the 2.0.x branch ;-)

> And now we're talking about refactoring everything.

I guess we are not... I am quite sure everyone here will agree that we should
delay such idea until we have a real stable and well documented 2.1 branch!
People will walk off screaming if now start with another version...
...but what we need are people using it - not running away from it. We already
give them the burden of complexity...

But I am quite sure some people on cocoon-dev felt the same itch Berin was
talking about. I would insist on marking down those itches because that's the
way we find the needed improvements - whether they make it into the 2.x
branch or into a much later(?!) refactored version.

At least that's how I see it...
--
Torsten