cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: [CLEANCOON] Let's clean Cocoon and modularize it (was: Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins))
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 06:59:07 GMT
On 06.Aug.2002 -- 08:32 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> So, *if* we vote on refactoring or starting a new Cocoon
> major version, I'm definitly -1 on this.
>
> I still believe that we can solve some (perhaps not all)
> problems simply by organizing our project structure and
> by shifting our activities from "hacking new features"
> to "making a more perfect solution".

So, could we just come back to Berin's original idea, create some
subdirectories based e.g. on functionality, move stuff to
subdirectories if appropriate, and change the build process to include
these subdirectories as we do with scratchpad?

Step two could be to build seperate jars, step three to relax release
cycles for sub-projects. No magic, no changing of any names, just
re-packaging.

Candidates so far:

* forms (simple and XML)
* databases (esql, transformer, actions)
* fop
* portal

How about (in addition to the above):

* delhi
* docbook
* ...

Thus I suggest that someone more knowledgeable of the build process
creates directories for the above and integrates them with the process
and then those who feel responsible for components move them and their
samples to one of the subprojects where sensible.

Step four could be to make this pluggable, i.e. blocks.

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de