cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins)
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:05:55 GMT
On Monday 05 August 2002 09:41, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>. . .
> we should try to build a minimal Cocoon or core Cocoon if you
> prefer and put everything else into additional modules (read: not blocks).
> By modules I simply mean different directories in the CVS in order to
> optionally build them.
>. . .

It would be great if these modules could be pluggable at runtime, simply by
copying the required jars in the right places. Users won't like having to
recompile Cocoon just to activate different options IMHO.

I don't know Cocoon internals or Avalon in much detail, but maybe the
following scenario could be implemented simply and help users locate and add
the required functionality when they need it:

1) create an XML map of modules, classnames and URLs that is distributed with
Cocoon, example:

<plugin-module
  name="xslt-xalan"
  class="org.apache.cocooon.wrappers.XalanWrapper"
  download-url="http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/modules/xalan"
  download-file="cocoon-xalan-plugin.2.0.3.jar"
/>

2) when a Component is requested from the Sitemap and is not available, a
custom ClassLoader (or a catch of the ClassNotFoundException) uses the
above map to let users know how to activate it, something like:

CocoonPluginNotFoundException:
The "xslt-xalan" plugin (requested by blablabla...) is not present in your
Cocoon configuration. To activate it, download file
"cocoon-xalan-plugin.2.0.3.jar" from
"http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/modules/xalan", copy this jar to the
WEB-INF/lib subdirectory of your Cocoon installation and restart Cocoon

I don't know how well this fits your plans, but it might help distributing a
minimal Cooon while making it easy for users to install what they need.

Just my 2 cents.
--
 Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

 buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
 disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.