cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Jens Lorenz" <jens.lor...@interface-projects.de>
Subject Re: Is Cocoon unstable?
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:05:37 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziegeler@s-und-n.de>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 3:54 PM
Subject: RE: Is Cocoon unstable?

Carsten,

... a last word ...

> > > I understand your concerns and know that this is a PITA, but it has
> > > nothing to do with an unstable 2.0.x series - and that's what I'm
> > > currently focusing on.
> >
> > Well, updating an application from one 2.0.x to the next version
> > took days as well. We've had this from 2.0 to 2.0.2 and from 2.0.1
> > to 2.0.2.
> > And the errors were more subtle than just a missing method during
> > compilation. Can't remember a particular one though.
> >
> Hmm, that's interesting, because the 2.0.x series should be compatible
> and therefore compile problems should not occur.

A said, _not_ compiler errors. But everything compiles smoothly but it
does not work anyway, because the configuration of a component changed,
a parameter was replaced by another and so on.

IMHO this is caused by the late binding used by Avalon in order to
assemble components into an application. The compiler is unaware of
the interdependencies of these components defined via XML and thus
cannot check if everything is used the way it is supposed to be.
But this is another story ...

Jens

--

jens.lorenz at interface-projects dot de

interface:projects GmbH                             \\|//
Tolkewitzer Strasse 49                              (o o)
01277 Dresden                               ~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~
Germany