cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Jens Lorenz" <jens.lor...@interface-projects.de>
Subject Re: Is Cocoon unstable?
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:52:43 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Leigh Dodds" <ldodds@ingenta.com>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 1:21 PM
Subject: RE: Is Cocoon unstable?

> Where I've referred to instability, it's been over concern
> about how rapidly certain pieces of Cocoon seem to be
> changing/developing rather than it runtime failures.
>
> The fact that changes are happening quickly, and releases
> occur on time is a credit to the community.
>
> But it does make it seem like a moving target when deciding
> on a platform for an application.
>
> Cheers,
>
> L.

I've to agree on this. Instable not with the meaning of crashes
but with the meaning of fast changes of API interfaces.

I can even come up with a quite good example.

The move of the Source interface from Cocoon to Excalibur.

For our document managment system we invented and extended
Source interface with some extra functionality. So that we
could integrate nicely with existing components (generator
and reader in particular), but use extended functionality
by just doing "instanceof ExtendedSource".

Our source still works with 2.1, but since it is wrapped up
in another compatiblity class the instanceof statement fails.
Even worse, there is no way to get at our wrapped (old) Source.

One solution we've developed is to create a (JDK 1.3 only)
dynamic proxy which replaces the Wrapper classes and still
implements all interfaces of the wrapped Source thus allowing
it to be used the old and the new way.

Another solution is to develop a new ExcaliburSource, but this
way we're unable to use it with 2.0.x. It doesn't even compile.

So essentially we've to maintain two versions. One for 2.0.x and
one for 2.1.x. (and that's a PITA)

And the Source is only one example. Another is Loggable vs. LogEnabled.

Regards,

Jens

--

jens.lorenz at interface-projects dot de

interface:projects GmbH                             \\|//
Tolkewitzer Strasse 49                              (o o)
01277 Dresden                               ~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~
Germany