cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Jens Lorenz" <jens.lor...@interface-projects.de>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins)
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:18:42 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch>
To: <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization (Cocoon plugins)

> On Monday 05 August 2002 09:41, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >. . .
> > we should try to build a minimal Cocoon or core Cocoon if you
> > prefer and put everything else into additional modules (read: not
blocks).
> > By modules I simply mean different directories in the CVS in order to
> > optionally build them.
> >. . .
>
> It would be great if these modules could be pluggable at runtime, simply
by
> copying the required jars in the right places. Users won't like having
> recompile Cocoon just to activate different options IMHO.
>
> I don't know Cocoon internals or Avalon in much detail, but maybe the
> following scenario could be implemented simply and help users locate and
add
> the required functionality when they need it:
>
> 1) create an XML map of modules, classnames and URLs that is distributed
with
> Cocoon, example:
>
> <plugin-module
>   name="xslt-xalan"
>   class="org.apache.cocooon.wrappers.XalanWrapper"
>   download-url="http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/modules/xalan"
>   download-file="cocoon-xalan-plugin.2.0.3.jar"
> />
>
> 2) when a Component is requested from the Sitemap and is not available,
> custom ClassLoader (or a catch of the ClassNotFoundException) uses the
> above map to let users know how to activate it, something like:
>
> CocoonPluginNotFoundException:
> The "xslt-xalan" plugin (requested by blablabla...) is not present in
your
> Cocoon configuration. To activate it, download file
> "cocoon-xalan-plugin.2.0.3.jar" from
> "http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/dist/modules/xalan", copy this jar to the
> WEB-INF/lib subdirectory of your Cocoon installation and restart Cocoon
>
> I don't know how well this fits your plans, but it might help
distributing a
> minimal Cooon while making it easy for users to install what they need.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
> --
>  Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)
>
>  buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
>  disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.

Can't help it, but this sounds like Cocoon Blocks "light" to me. And
then there is the question why not going all the way and implement
Blocks as outlined by the RT of Stefano ?

Jens

--

jens.lorenz at interface-projects dot de

interface:projects GmbH                             \\|//
Tolkewitzer Strasse 49                              (o o)
01277 Dresden                               ~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~
Germany