cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <con...@paradise.net.nz>
Subject RE: Extending the build system for modules
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2002 04:43:04 GMT
My comments on terminology:

> > >   portion

implies a part taken from a whole, a "share", not a unit of *construction*

> > >   element

good, but XML also has elements

> > >   ingredient

my favourite! Is it just because I like food? ;-)

> > >   unit

a unit is just a single thing ... too vague IMHO

> > >   bit

1/8 of a byte?

> > >   fragment

see portion

> > >   piece

see portion

> > >   item

see unit

> > >   particle

To me personally, this implies one of a large number of similar parts ...
whereas they should be quite different kinds of parts.

I think "component" should be avoided because of Avalon, "package" because
of Java, and "module" because of CVS. The potential for confusion is great
and we should take special care to avoid it!

My 2c