cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Q] Conceptual difficulties
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:22:02 GMT
On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Per Kreipke wrote:

> I feel like a newbie again.
>
> It seems as if with every new page or problem to solve, I have a large set
> of choices about where I can store information. But where I choose to store
> something depends on its lifetime, cachability, granularity, etc.
>
> In a typical servlet model, I understand the difference in lifetime and
> scope between contexts (e.g. session, servlet, etc). But in Cocoon I don't.

It's the same in Cocoon as it abstracts the Servlet environment.

> I'm having trouble figuring out where to keep application vs. user level
> settings in a web applicaton using Cocoon without every user getting a copy
> of a global setting, etc. I think most of the confusion centers around the
> repeated use of Source objects and Resolvers throughout C2.
>
> Note: I've looked through a most of the C2 code (esp. sunshine) and still am
> fuzzy on some basics. I've also looked through most of the documentation
> both online and in the 2.0.3 build on my machine.
>
> - is the Cocoon Source object the same as the Source in Excalibur (doesn't
> seem so, yet they both seem to be used)?

This might be a migration issue from the porting of the Source package
from Cocoon to Excalibur.

> - does the resolver automatically cache the source object if possible, and
> also watch for changes (it doesn't seem as if any of the Source's are
> caching)?
>
> - that is, is there little cost to requesting an XML file repeatedly?
>
> - does it depend on which protocol (cocoon:, resource:, file:, context:,
> ...)?
>
> - sitemap components have their own config info, and some have external
> config info (e.g. ValidatorAction descriptor files). Are the external config
> files automatically cached in memory and kept up to date if they change?
> How: by simply using Source and a resolver?

Component configuration are usually read in at startup and never again.

> - sitemap components are stored in and returned from pools, each potentially
> with its own settings, etc. But is the pool a pool of _all_ components
> together, separate pools for each component type (e.g. one for generators,
> one for matchers), or separate pools for each specific component (e.g. a
> pool of CIncludeTransformer's, each with their own default settings)?

If a component is Poolable there will be a separate pool for that
component (one for FileGenerator, CIncludeTransformer, etc.).

> - the sun* code expects config information directly in the sitemap instead
> of a separate file. When using the compiled sitemap, that's a real nuisance.
> Is there a way around that?

You need to rewrite the component to have it expect the configuration
elsewhere and read it in by itself.

> - when you access the application context in the sun* code, is it accessing
> a single copy for everyone? Where is it actually stored?

I don't know the sun code in depth but generally application context *is*
one single copy in the system.

> - in summary, how/where would one store an XML snippet as essentially a
> singleton object for use by all users?

Put it in the Context object.

Giacomo