cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew Langham" <mlang...@s-und-n.de>
Subject FOP performance
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 11:48:13 GMT
Hi,

we have a project where we are using Cocoon 2.0. We have a simple pipeline
that generates a PDF document:

      <map:match pattern="print/pdfxyz">
        <map:generate type="webprintParameterPrint"/>
        <map:transform type="webprintXYZ"/>
        <map:transform src="webprint/contexts/XYZ/fragment.xsl"/>
        <map:serialize type="fo2pdf"/>
      </map:match>

The XML data arrives as a request paramter (130 KB in size!) and the
stylesheet is 636 KB in size. We are using our own specific generator and
transformer in the pipeline (but they don't do anything special).

It takes 8.5 seconds to generate the PDF file - which is only 1 page! Quite
complex though with lots of tables etc - but no graphics. The system is a
650 Mhz with 256 MB RAM. Our customer thinks that this is too slow - and I
am looking for any ideas as to how we can improve the speed (or perhaps this
is normal?). The duration is split evently between the transformation step
and the FOP step.

Would switching to 2.1-dev help? Why?
The stylesheet is very large - any idea here (translets?)
Perhaps it's quicker to use several stylesheets instead of 1 large one?
Is there a different PDF rendering engine we can use with Cocoon?
etc.

Thanks.

Matthew

--
Open Source Group       Cocoon { Consulting, Training, Projects }
Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  mlangham@s-und-n.de - http://www.s-und-n.de