cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Koen Pellegrims" <koen.pellegr...@pandora.be>
Subject RE: Performance of XSLTC
Date Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:01:12 GMT

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
Verzonden: donderdag 11 juli 2002 10:35
Aan: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Onderwerp: Re: Performance of XSLTC

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Today I tried to find out how much faster XSLTC compared to Xalan is. My
>result: there is hardly any difference in performance (maybe XSLTC is
>slightly faster).

Just some thoughts : XSLTC translates a stylesheet to a class, and this
process is time consuming. Are we sure this happens only the first time
the stylesheet is used by Cocoon ?

My sentiments exactly!
I haven't used XSLTC in Cocoon yet, but I use it stand-alone all the time.
In a real-world set-up with a complex (six files, 40 template) stylesheet
and large (up to 2MB) documents, XSLTC really blows away Xalan.

This needs to be checked, since regenerating the class file each time
certainly ruins any performance benefits.

Also, considering this compile-once stuff is ok, measurements should not
take into account the *first* execution of the stylesheet in order to
really measure the transformation time.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez