cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bert Van Kets <b...@apache.org>
Subject web server log file parsing
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:59:48 GMT
One of the projects I'm working on is using Cocoon to create a web server
log analysis tool.  It's perfect for generating the graphs and reports in
different formats.
The one thing I'm struggling with is parsing the log files.  There are
several ways of doing this:
1. reading the logs for every period request and create a sax stream
2. parse the unread log files into a database and use that to generate a
sax stream.  This is a two stage system.

As log files can grow very large copying it to the database will give me
not only a large log directory, but also a large database.  Once the data
is in the database the speed advantages are of course obvious.
Reading the data from the log files on every request does have a
disadvantage in  processing speed, but does not use gigs of disk
space.  Webtrends does it this way exactly for the same reason.

What is your guys opinion?

Bert