cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: Performance problem XSP after April 20
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:50:31 GMT
> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>
> > From: Peter Royal [mailto:proyal@apache.org]
> >
> > On Saturday 27 July 2002 12:01 pm, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > > Actually, release is slower then lookup, because it
> > > invokes iterating
> > > through all lists in all proxies, which takes more
> > > time with growing
> > > complexity of the site (aggregations etc).
> >
> > yuk! perhaps an immediate change would be to store
> > looked-up objects in a
> > HashSet to skip the iteration?
> > -pete
>

> Even better would be to start migrating to Fortress.
> All your expensive stuff on the backend is done asyncronously,
> so the critical path is not affected.
>
> Another one would be to fix the assumption that lookup/release
> is 0 time.  That is obviously proven false in this case.
>
> The fact that the cache has to lookup and release up to 15
> components at runtime is horrendous.  That makes me think
> that the cache should be redesigned so that it is self contained.

Berin,

Not cache. Cocoon engine:

1. Cocoon lookups sitemap processor.
2. Processor (sitemap) lookups pipelines.
3. Sitemap selects all matchers, selectors, actions, generators,
serializers, transformers as needed (you have to build pipeline).
4. Pipeline [gets cached response and] lookups XML deserializer.

The more complex sitemap you have (more matchers/selectors/etc), the
more lookups will happen. Say, every cocoon source will lookup processor
and continue the process from step 2.

<flame-bait>
I know that you want to use pre-built pipelines, but (skipping
discussion of how this could be possible) with growing site complexity
amount of all possible pipelines in the sitemap grows exponentially
(IIRC, DNA has only four building blocks, but amount of possible
combinations is close to infinity), thus making any effort to pre-built
pipelines ahead of time futile.
</flame-bait>

;)

Vadim