cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Jens Lorenz" <>
Subject Re: serializer sending gzip compressed html
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 08:34:40 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Luca Morandini" <>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 4:51 PM
Subject: RE: serializer sending gzip compressed html

> Jens,
> maybe it is just me, but... what about web-server compression ?

No it's not just you. Stefano had another idea for the same purpose.

> I suppose the web-server intercepts and compresses the output coming out
of any servlet (as long as the servlet has not been called
> directly (i.e. ":8080"))... am I wrong ?
> Best regards,

You're right. I thought of using mod_gzip too. But then you'll
only do this for production systems. At least I've been using
Tomcat always standalone for development.

Also AFAIK mod_gzip does not cache the results and needs an
external working directory. (while most certainly being faster
than the Java version)

Stefano suggested to use a GZIPServletFilter. To be honest, living
entirely in a Cocoon world I never had a deeper look into Servlet
APi and deployment descriptors. So I never knew that such stuff
is possible with servlets.

So a Servlet-Filter would be the third way to achieve compressed
output from cocoon. But the disadvantage of GZIPServletFilter is
the missing caching as well.

In a production environment with a tomcat/apache combo and a reverse
proxy in front of tomcat, the missing caching does not matter. But
not all projects need such a setup.

Well, IMHO there are still some cases where a GZIPSerializer might
be useful. But thanks to you Luca and Stefano for opening my eyes
for the world outside Cocoon.

Best Regards,

jens.lorenz at interface-projects dot de

interface:projects GmbH                             \\|//
Tolkewitzer Strasse 49                              (o o)
01277 Dresden                               ~~~~oOOo~(_)~oOOo~~~~

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message