cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Cocoon Organization
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:03:23 GMT
> From: Gianugo Rabellino [mailto:gianugo@apache.org]
>
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
> > We should split Cocoon into core development and component
> development
> > efforts, much like Avalon does with Framework and Excalibur.  That
> > will allow the components to be packaged in jars that serve
> a similar
> > purpose.
>
> Yes, +1, go for it, hippy-ya-ye-o! This is badly needed.
>
> The problem is how to split actually. Based on functionality (i.e
> cocoon-sql.jar, cocoon-xmldb.jar, cocoon-ldap.jar), by Cocoon role
> (cocoon-generators.jar, cocoon-actions.jar), by status
> (cocoon-stable.jar, cocoon-scratchpad.jar, cocoon-beta.jar)
> or by what?
>
> It doesn't seem to me an easy task, but someone has to do it...

I would split based on function.  The difficult part is getting the
split started.  The Portal stuff (sun***) is an easy thing to separate
out.  Once it is done, people will start thinking about what seems
natural, and it will organize itself. (provided the people are
intelligent as I suspect the Cocoon community is).