cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject forcing target="1.2"
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2002 19:08:20 GMT
Is there any reason why we have the target="${target.vm}" for compiling
the class files?

I find that if you just force the target VM to target="1.2", the class
file format will work with any JDK 1.2+ JVM.  That is what we do with
Avalon, and it seems to work.

Forcing target="1.2" does not limit the libraries you can use, it just
ensures that serializable classes are serialized the same way, and new
java bytecode operands are not available.

I just compiled Cocoon on JDK 1.4, but with -Dtarget.vm=1.2 on the
command line.  It still works in JDK 1.4, and I am getting ready to
test it for JDK 1.3.  I expect no problems.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin