cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <con...@paradise.net.nz>
Subject RE: Cocoon based WebMail?
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:15:19 GMT

<snip/>

> JavaMail does
> an OK job with this, but I didn't see any built in way to
> read unix mail
> files.

There's a 3rd party JavaMail "mbox" provider at http://www.dog.net.uk/knife/

I wonder could a general mail source be built on top
> of JavaMail
> and the components for accessing different mail source be built to
> comply with JavaMail as well?

I think this is a good idea: a JavaMailSource that would be configured to
use a particular provider.

> don't quite understand the relevance of the mail URL's
> though. Locating
> the mailbox or message should be a function of JavaMail
> right? We just
> supply the source specific information (POP3 server address,
> mail file
> location) and then use the api to get the individual messages. right?

I had originally been hoping to support POP3 and NEWS as real
URLProtocolHandlers, so you could have a sitemap like this:

<map:match pattern="mail/*.html">
	<map:generate type="mime" src="news://localhost/{1}"/>
	<map:transform src="message-to-html.xsl"/>
	<map:serialize/>
</map:match>

<map:match pattern="mail/*.html">
	<map:generate type="mime" src="imap://localhost/{1}"/>
	<map:transform src="message-to-html.xsl"/>
	<map:serialize/>
</map:match>

... but the different URL schemes have different capabilities and the POP3
URL scheme, for instance, can't even refer to an individual message, so
another layer (a "javamail:" source) could be a good idea.