cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Melhem <micha...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>
Subject CachingPoint algorithm and treeprocessor
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:01:19 GMT
Hi Carsten,

Hows things, I hope all is well in your neck of the woods!

As we have been discussing earlier, I have been doing some more work
on "cache points" I believe I have something that appears to be workng!

However, there a couple of issues I would like to run by you:

Issue 1.
I have added  a new method to the interface "ProcessingPipeline.java".
Namely,  public void informBranchPoint();

In "AbstractProcessingPipeline.java" the default implementation of this
method simply does nothing. ie public void informBranchPoint() {}. It is
redifined in CachingPOINTProcessingPipeline to do something meaningful.

The above method is used within the treeprocessor to inform the chosen pipeline
implementation that we have come across a branch in the tree.  What the
pipeline does with this information is up to the particular chosen
implementation. The default caching implementation ignores it. As an example,
here is a code snippet from GenerateNode.java.

if (this.views != null) {
   //
   //
   // Inform the pipeline that we have a branch
   // point
   //
   context.getProcessingPipeline().informBranchPoint();

   String cocoonView = env.getView();
   if (cocoonView != null) {

Do you think the above proposed change to treeprocessing is acceptable in terms of
performance etc? At the moment I dont see a way around it.

Issue 2.
I was thinking of breaking up some of the methods in CachingProcessingPipeline.java
so that my modifcations can be easly moved into a sub class. This Would
Involve creating something like AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java,
wth CachingProcessingPipeline.java and CachingIPointProcessingPipeline.java would
implementing this. What do you think of this?

Many thanks,
Michael Melhem