cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Steven Noels" <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject RE: Wiki documentation system
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:51:02 GMT
> From: Jeremy Quinn [mailto:sharkbait@mac.com]

> On Monday, June 10, 2002, at 08:53 AM, Steven Noels wrote:
>
> >> From: Bertrand Delacretaz [mailto:bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch]

> > I was thinking of something along these lines for Forrest
> > however, where
> > non-Cocoon documentors (Xerces, Axis, etc) probably don't have an
> > instance of Cocoon running on their workstation.
> >

> Exactly!
> This is where my idea breaks down ..... I was thinking about the
> smaller problem.
>
> Maybe one of the (eternally grateful ;) Cocoon users will offer
> this as a service on their own machine (ie. message processing
> and forwarding) for the rest of the Apache community.

If we generate a 'comment/add to this page' link inside the static
documentation, how many people would actually click on that link and
actually use such a centralized service? Of course, if we would ever
want to move this service to nagoya or other ASF equipment because of
load issues, I assume there will be 'some debate' about the webapp
framework underneath - I assume Struts-lovers will be happy to
demonstrate that this kind of app can be build more easily without
Cocoon ;-)

That being said, and if anyone would like to seriously work on this, I'd
be happy to provide a smallish test platform. But I really want this
service for the entire XML Apache group, i.e. making it part of Forrest
(which happily includes Cocoon, and already has a webapp target).

Whether this is done using Wiki/chaperon / slash-edit / XMLForm /
Michael Hartle -style editors, I'm open to anything that is simple and
works across a variety of browsers, as Forrest currently is trying to
do.

Thoughts?

</Steven>