cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From koen_pellegr...@inventivedesigners.com
Subject Re: What is Cocoon?
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:37:49 GMT

The application is called DTM (Data Text Merge,
http://www.inventivedesigners.com/dtm/dtm.html).

It started as a replacement  for IBM's OfficeVision, which was a
word-processing application on AS/400 (the UI was targeted to the 5250
"green" terminals).
Our application also has a 5250 UI and uses MS Word (with plugins) for
wysiwyg editing on Win32 platforms.
The files are stored in an internal (albeit encrypted) XML format.

Cocoon (or parts of it) is used in the backend. The documents are mostly
designed for very large mail-merges and can be printed on IBM's AFP or SCS
printers, or exported to PDF, PS and PCL.

We have written our own serializer to read and decrypt our XML-files and
the 'merge'-module is a transformer.
Internally, we use the XSL transformer to transform this result into
XSL-FO, or into an older version of our XML format, for which we already
have printing modules towards AFP and SCS.
We would like to write serializers that can produce AFP and SCS data from
FO as well, but there are a few shortcomings in FO that we need to support
(the most important of which are "tab-stops"). This requirement stems from
the days of yore: the most heard reason is "because OfficeVision supported
it " :-(
We are working towards a cleaner and better integration with Cocoon.

Koen.

                    Sylvain Wallez

                    <sylvain.wallez@anyware        To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    -tech.com>                     cc:

                                                   Subject:     Re: What is Cocoon?

                    17-06-02 15:27

                    Please respond to

                    cocoon-dev

koen_pellegrims@inventivedesigners.com wrote:

>Do we want to restrict Cocoon to "web" needs?
>
>We are using Cocoon pipelines and concepts in an application on AS/400;
It
>has nothing to to with the web, but Cocoon fits our needs perfectly !
>
>(but if we go that way, it might become even harder to market Cocoon)

Seems very interesting. Could you please give us some more details about
your application ?

Thanks,
Sylvain

--