cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Reinhard Poetz" <reinhard_po...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: [RT] Flowmaps
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:37:24 GMT
> More explicit sitemap markup
> ----------------------------
>
> Here is what I think would be a much better approach to connect a
> sitemap and a flowmap:
>
> <map:sitemap xmlns:map="http://apache.org/cocoon/sitemap/1.0">
>
>   <map:flowmaps default="calculator">
>    <map:flowmap name="calculator" src="calc.js" language="javascript"/>
>   </map:flowmaps>
>
>   <map:pipelines>
>    <map:pipeline>
>     <map:match pattern="">
>      <map:call function="calculator('prefix','/kont')"/>
>     </map:match>
>
>     <map:match pattern="kont/*">
>      <map:call with-continuation="{1}"/>
>     </map:match>
>
>     <map:match pattern="*.html">
>      <map:generate src="{1}.xsp" type="serverpages"/>
>      <map:serialize/>
>     </map:match>
>    </map:pipeline>
>   </map:pipelines>
>
> </map:sitemap>

What happens if you define two (or more) functions with the same name
expecting the same parameters in the same or in different flowmaps?

> The problems with this approach
> -------------------------------
>
> First of all, let me say that I consider the above concept the biggest
> advancement in server-side web technology since servlets.

I'm really impressed too! Thank you Ovidiu!!!

> More ways to get flowmap data
> -----------------------------
>
> Currently, in order to have access to flowmap data (parameters or
> continuations), you need to use the XSP or write java code yourself (I'm
> not even sure the latest is possible, Ovidiu?)
>
> I'd like to have at least a few others:
>
> XSLT

+10
very important because I think that many people (and me too) don't like XSPs

> Now, suppose we do this
>
>    callPipeline("hello.html", input, output);
>
> where we mean:
>
>  1) call the internal "hello.html" URI connecting the input and output
> that I give you.
>  2) come back here without sending anything to the client

+1

and ...
with the same concept we can implement validation in XMLForms if you need
access to your backend for this purpose because xml-schemes are not powerful
enough
(e.g. a customer wants to book a hotel room and you have to check before
confirming the reservation whether the room is still available)

Regards,
Reinhard