cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Reinhard Poetz" <reinhard_po...@gmx.net>
Subject RE: XMLForms and Flowmap
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:56:42 GMT
> Ivelin Ivanov wrote:

> > I agree that Actions are not as natural to Cocoon sitemap as Generator,
> > Transformers and Serializers are. What is the right replacement
> for them
> > which will glue front end with the business logic layer.
> > Are you saying that the flowmap will call Java code directly?
> > Would you need to write gluing JavaScript even for simple one
> page input
> > handling?

> Per-Olof Norén wrote:
> My interpretation would be that if that input handling is needed it
> should be done in the flowmap. If there is a need for an action, one
> should use flow. Personally I tend to hesitate to write an action and if
> a actually do it i tend to "overwork" it, costing lots of unneccecary
> hours to the project at hand. Therefore i agree with Stefano on his
> quest for an action-free cocoon, given that it is expanded from its
> current form of course :)

I think there a few good reasons implementing web applications on the basis
of
the flowmap (I don't know if they will/should replace actions - maybe in the
long
run)

  1) Higher visibility
     If you want to know what an action does you have to look into
     the source code. That's not a problem for java programmers but
     I think for many developers who love the framework but don't want
     to touch java code ...

  2) Faster development cycles
     You don't need to restart cocoon because of a change in an action.

  3) Separation of java code and business logic
     You can put your business logic completly in flowmaps. This means that
     you can separate the cocoon installation from that you want to do
     with it.

  4) Continuations

--> good documentation of the flowmap will be absolutly necessary

  1) How to implement the connection between the functionality provided by
     cocoon and javascript-functions

  2) How to write your flows

  3) Performance guide
     - Are there any impacts on the performance because of the flow layer?
     - Are there dos and donts?

  4) If there is still a need for actions in the future we should explain
     the advantages and disadvantages of actions and flows

Regards,
Reinhard