cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject [RT]: One step for a minimal Cocoon
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:47:51 GMT
This is a RT for reaching the aim of a minimal Cocoon and
for making updates of Cocoon easier. Perhaps this is nothing
new, but I want to explictly repeat it. So here we go:

This first version of a minimal Cocoon contains *all*
current components but no samples. When we have the blocks
the second aim (= the feature to choose the wanted components)
will easily be reached.

For creating a standard use of Cocoon we should provide a
default sitemap where we define the names of the sitemap
components. So the file generator has always the name "file" etc.

Apart from this component definition the main sitemap should
be empty (perhaps some default views we define), but no
resources and no pipelines, except a generic mount:

  <map:pipeline>
    <map:match pattern="*/**">
      <map:mount check-reload="yes" src="{1}/" uri-prefix="{1}"/>
    </map:match>
  </map:pipeline>

The root directory of the webapp should only contain the WEB-INF
directory with the libs, web.xml, cocoon.xconf etc and this
sitemap. Nothing else.

All samples and everything else (except the documentation) should
go into the samples directory with it's own subsitemap.
Installing the samples will then mean moving this samples directory
into the webapp directory of cooon and due to the automount above
a "localhost/cocoon/samples/welcome" will work. The same applies
to the documentation.
We could then make a minimal distribution, a samples add-on and
a documentation add-on.

So the only work we have to do (which has already started) is to
move everything into the samples directory and voila we have
achieved a big step into the direction of a minimal Cocoon.

Comments?

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler     Chief Architect     Open Source Group, S&N AG