cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: Re: Jelly
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:34:18 GMT

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>> How it is related/compared with JSP-like tag library recently commited
>>> into scratchpad?
>> Forgot that one :-/
>> The concepts look similar, TagTransfomer is Cocoon and Avalon-based,
>> which is good, but Jelly seems to provide much more features.
>> Volker, as the author of Cocoon tags, would you like to check Jelly and
>> give us your impressions ?

>The author of Jelly contacted me about Jelly in Cocoon.

>He is eager to make a Transformer for Cocoon, and he already put it in
>his todos.

>Jelly is basically a generic scripting system based on tags:
>it currently uses Ant, JSP tags, and his own (+ others) OOTB.

>I also showed him Berin's proposal for caching tag results, and he said
>he is interested in adding caching to Jelly.

Jelly looks really very promising to me and we should integrate it to cocoon.
But IIUC it works more like a generator, because it compiles a XML-Script to a
internal representation an then runs this script. Using it as a custom
transformer can then be a performance problem because building this script use a
lot of memory allocation.

James, please correct me if I am wrong.

Jelly does not use Avalon in the moment, this mean we have no out of the box
access to the ComponentManager/SitemapParameter in a Tag. But the Implementation
is very flexible to plug this in.
I think using Avalon also in Jelly will be a improvement. This will allow
configurable Taglibs and makes Jelly more customizable.

James did't you thought about using Avalon in Jelly?

If you like I can help to integrate Jelly in Cocoon and think about a
integration of the benefits of my implementation.

What do you think?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message