cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Flowmaps
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:14:27 GMT
On 6/20/02 1:21 AM, "Sylvain Wallez" <sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com>
wrote:

> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
>
>> On 6/18/02 7:59 AM, "Sylvain Wallez" <sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Your assumption is that the flow scripts are visible to all the
>> applications. I don't think this is reasonable. Just think of an ISP who
>> deploys Cocoon, people running their Web app want to be isolated from
>> everybody else. How can we achieve this if we describe flow scripts as
>> components, inheritable in all the Cocoon blocks that implement user apps?
>>

> You seem to have misunderstood what I meant about visibility : a flow
> isn't globally visible, but could be visible - just as other components
> - in the sitemap that declared it and all its subsitemaps. If an ISP
> wants to hide a particular flow, then this flow should be declared in an
> ISP-private subsitemap of the main sitemap.
>
> This "hide on a branch" strategy is the one used by Tomcat classloaders
> to hide the servlet engine classes from the webapp classes, and it works
> quite well.
>
> Note that the same visibility problems currently applies to components
> we already have : if an ISP-private datasource or a sensitive action is
> declared in cocoon.xconf or the main subsitemap, they are globally
> visible. Declaring them in a subsitemap hides them from other sitemap
> branches.

I see, it makes sense.

But I still don't see why flow scripts declared in a parent sitemap should
be visible to children. I believe a flow script is essentially part of a
self-contained application, and there is no reason to have that visible to
children sitemaps.

>> But it doesn't prevent other flow scripts deployed in the same Cocoon
>> instance to reverse engineer scripts deployed by somebody else (think of the
>> ISP scenario).
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here. Is this related to
> filesystem access ?

At least in JavaScript, if you have access to a Scriptable object, the
object that contains the internal representation of a script, you can ask it
to decompile itself. Thus you get access to the source code of the flow,
which may be a security problem.

Best regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@apache.org>