cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Continuation as cookie? (was RE: [RT] Flowmaps)
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 03:37:58 GMT
On 6/19/02 5:29 PM, "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritsenko@verizon.net> wrote:

>> From: Ovidiu Predescu [mailto:ovidiu@cup.hp.com]
>>
>> But is not the application that shows the page, it's the browser if it
>> maintains them in a cache.
>
> This is not an issue, and can be controlled by HTTP headers.
>
> For example, in IE, I never can get old front page of slashdot.org:
> every time I click "back" it goes back to server instead of showing
> stale page. Same for online banks (at least my CU).

Right.

> [...]
>
>> Thus, each URL which generated for a
>> continuation will be different than all others. Your browser will
> maintain
>> the history of URLs, as opposed to the value of your cookies. A cookie
> has
>> only one value, no matter what you do with your browser history.
> That's why
>> you cannot use cookies to represent continuations.
>
> If ID generation is uncontrollable (can not have one and only number
> instead of new one every time you continue), then yes, it is (almost)
> impossible...
>
> ...Because another way is to save continuation ID into session and on
> every request you can match continuation ID from session and retrieve
> *current* continuation (and page) instead of previous page :)
>
> But, cookies here do not play any role (except session handling).

You can always reuse a continuation id. If you know the continuation id (you
can retrieve it from the first continuation you create), you can store
subsequent continuations under the same id. I'm not sure you have support
for this exposed in JavaScript right now, but it should be fairly easy to
add.

Regards,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@apache.org>