cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject Re: Continuation as cookie? (was RE: [RT] Flowmaps)
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:02:53 GMT
On 6/19/02 12:25 AM, "Sylvain Wallez" <sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com>
wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>>> From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
>>>
>>> page leads to a new continuation. This is how the infamous "back button"
>>> problem is elegantly solved, and also how you can use what-if browsing
>>>

>> I could imagine application which has one and only continuation per
>> client. In this scenario, when client hits "Back" button, application
>> shows to the user *same*, *current* page but not *previous* page.

But is not the application that shows the page, it's the browser if it
maintains them in a cache. The continuation id helps identifying the state
of the program on the server side, but this gets transmitted only when you
make a new request from an old page.

>> If you add continuation persistence on server side... In *this*
>> scenario, cookies *do* make sense. Don't you agree?
>
> Yes, cookies do make sense for this. But in that case, do you really
> need continuations ? IIRC, Ovidiu already talked about this, but I don't
> remember exactly what he said.
>
> Ovidiu, what's your opinion on the above ?

The problem is that a cookie does not change when you hit the back button in
your browser. An application could have many continuations, and each
continuation will have its own id. Thus, each URL which generated for a
continuation will be different than all others. Your browser will maintain
the history of URLs, as opposed to the value of your cookies. A cookie has
only one value, no matter what you do with your browser history. That's why
you cannot use cookies to represent continuations.

Greetings,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/7464/ (Apache, GNU, Emacs...)